Are you able to stay more than two days without checking your email? That is the power of an email marketing strategy folks. More and more people are connected 24/7 via email and because of that it is the perfect communication channel for our companies.
We are going to tell you the key points of a good email marketing strategy but first of all, lets start from the beginning.
What an email marketing strategy is and what it is for?
To not get confused, it is necessary to know what email marketing is. Email-marketing is a technique used by brands to connect with their target audience by email and it includes newsletters and other kinds of actions more focused on the products and offers. This tool should be used according to a strategy, thinking about the objectives pursued and measuring the reactions in order to track the success of the campaigns.
The messages sent in an email marketing strategy can be:
- Newsletters : Digital publication, mostly informative, sent directly by email. This information is usually periodical (daily, weekly, monthly, bi-monthly,…) and it usually shares information about a brand or about the industry of a company or organisation. The receivers will have shown previous interest requesting a subscription.
- Lead-nurturing emails: It is a strategy to keep the brand in the mind of a potential customer, sending them information regularly about the topics they have shown interest in until they are converted into a customer.
- Survey emails: These are emails asking questions of your customers about your products and services. It is a great way of finding out how your business is perceived.
- Promotional campaigns: Emails with information about upcoming sales with calls to actions and links to your site.
- Catalogue emails: These kind of emails are an effective way to highlight products or services.
- Transactional emails: Sent after a purchase is made, as a way to confirm the transaction, say thank you and encourage the customer to shop with you again.
Benefits of email marketing
- Low cost. Not all the email marketing platforms are free, especially when the target audience is huge. When the number of receivers of a campaign is large, the email marketing service operators can charge a fee. But even then, the prices are usually affordable even for small business.
- Measurable results. The user can be tracked via analytics, bounce messages, un-subscribers, click-throughs, etc. Apart from this, the conversion rate is bigger than a post in Social Media, especially because the audience are already interested in what your company offers.
- Subscribe options. Subscription is a good way to retain and engage your public, offering things that non subscribers can’t access.
- Fast response. If you launch a good email campaign, you will be able to receive the fruits of your labour very quickly, especially if you place timely and appropriate calls to action.
- Highly personal. Email marketing lets you talk directly with your potential customers. In view of this, it is a good idea to personalise the message as much as possible, adapting it to the reader and make them feel special. A good email marketing strategy will bear in mind who is being targeted and will offer a different style.
- Measurable results. With email marketing, there is no chance to doubt. We can know the average of emails open within the campaign, how many people have clicked the links in the email and how many of them have eventually become a conversion. Therefore, the return of investment is easily verifiable.
- Target marketing. Newsletters can get more targeted audience. The user should have subscribed to the service and, very probably, have left some information about themselves. Therefore we can use that data to adapt the campaign or much better, design different email campaigns targeting our different users.
- Ideal for promotions. Email marketing is a great way to show new offers through direct, appealing images, videos and infographics. They will reach the potential customer’s inbox and attract their attention easily.
Strategy from zero
When carrying out an email marketing strategy, there are some steps one has to take. It is important, like everything in Digital Marketing, to know why we are making the decisions and why we are using one tool instead of another.
Our email marketing strategy should follow some objectives. They should be SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely). Examples of objectives could be:
- Generate loyalty.
- Increase the sales.
- Increase the number of subscribers.
- Get requests of quotations or general information.
These objectives can be more accurate in such a way that we can measure the results in detail:
- Increase sales by 15%.
- Get 20% more subscribers.
- Increase the traffic to the website from newsletter by 30%.
[Tweet “For email marketing, SMART objectives too. “]
Email Marketing Tools
Although email marketing looks as easy as sending an email, it isn’t. It is important to count on a good service provider in order to create accurate lists of clients and manage the campaigns in the best way possible. There are lots of companies, but probably the most famous are Mailchimp, Mailrelay and Benchmark among others.
Most of them let you design a nice email choosing different templates that you can modify through a straight forward drag and drop system.
If you are not sure which one you should choose, read these reviews and make your decision.
Our readers can’t be overwhelmed by emails, but they have to know about us from time to time. The frequency we send email campaigns is really important. After launching some campaigns, we can analyse when our receivers open our emails and see is there a pattern. It is useful to take care of the content of every campaign and adjust the mailshot to the season or the trends around.
How to get subscribers
It is of vital importance to make the subscription process as easy as possible. Don’t waste any chance to offer the opportunity to subscribe, placing pop-ups, leading to a short form where they can provide their email, a treasure for your email marketing strategy.
The banner offering a subscription can be placed in a page of a site or in a blog, as once you have a customer interested in the blog content, it is easy to generate an interest in your products or services.
If you can’t wait to start have a look at this short tutorial of Mailchimp for beginners for a sense of what email marketing is about.
Kind of content
The content of email campaigns can be diverse. Actually the originality of them will affect the open rate and the loyalty of your readers. The content can be:
[Tweet “The originality of our email campaigns will affect the open rate and the loyalty of our readers”]
Tips on the email marketing strategy
Find below how you can create great headlines for your email marketing campaign
- Use a personal tone, always according to your sector. But if the field and the products of the company lets it, make it informal and even funny. Make your email irresistible.
- Offer a promise but never false ones.
- Ask questions of your audience.
- Include calls-to-action.
- Be focused on the content instead of selling oneself.
- Write short headlines.
- Avoid spammy words like “free” or “offer” unless they are completely true and not tricky.
- Customise the email including the name of the user you are sending the email to.
Once writing the email you will have to create compelling texts, here are some recommendations:
- Be persuasive, but honest.
- Highlight some important words.
- Use subheadings to split the text and make it more readable.
- Include links to your site in the most relevant keywords.
- Write the email you would read. Not too long, keeping it clear and concise but adding all the needed information to make the reader understand the information.
For more tips to a powerful email marketing strategy, you can find more useful information in this post from Salesforce’s blog.
Email marketing is more alive than ever. The point is to know when it should be used and why. Stick to a plan, keep in mind the objectives of every campaign and reach the heart of your potential customers through their inbox straight away.