How to write a blog post for your business success
Are you thinking about starting blogging for your business, but you don’t know where to start? On today’s article, we will guide you through the process on how to write a blog post. You’ll see that it is easier than you think.
The main points on how to write a blog post are:
- Define your target market
- Determine a goal
- Choose a topic
- Structure the post and perform competitive analysis
- Start writing and optimise for SEO
- Double check
Benefits of blogging
Before starting to talk about how to write a blog post, let’s see if it is worth it. At The Web Centre we always recommend adding a blog to your site, as it can bring many benefits:
- Google will more often to visit your site, as you are offering new fresh content
- When your target market is looking for information online, they will find you easily, if you answer their questions with relevant blog post
- If you offer quality content, it can make you win links from other sites
- Creating original content will improve your reputation as brand online
- Will bring you the possibility to win popularity and fans/ advocates on Social Media channels, as soon as you share the content there
- You can create a sense of community by allowing comments on your blog posts, as well as sharing them on Social Media Channels where your target market is
- If you offer the possibility of your users receiving the latest blog post on their email, and they register, you can increase your email list/leads
- Will increase the traffic to your website
Even though the proven effectiveness of creating a blog, still many businesses find it difficult to start with it or don’t know how to start or how to write a blog post. 20% find it very difficult and 51% somewhat difficult, as per the Marketing Sherpa B2B Marketing Benchmark Report.
How to write a blog post?
If you’re part of that 71 % of the business that find it difficult blogging, keep reading. The following steps on how to write a blog post will help you start.
1. Define your target market
One of the most important points when writing a blog post is know more about your target market. You, as a business owner, or your organization are the ones more in contact with your clients, with more information regarding your target audience. Start by writing down all the data that you already know by heart. Then perform some market research and if possible do some one to one interview or group meeting.
Once you have all the data available in your hands, you can start creating your target persona. Hubspot has some amazing templates in order to start with the creation of your target personas.
Rather than “how to write a blog post” we need to focus as well on “why to write a blog post”? Every marketing activity that you perform must be aligned with your business goals, in consequence writing a blog too.
Whiat is going to be the goal for your next blog post?
- Reach new audiences
- Answer questions to already existing clients
- Promote the benefits of some of your products
- Inform about changes on your organization
Once you know the goal, you need to think about how you will amplify it (social media, paid channels, blogs, email, etc.)
3.Choose a topic
Once you have information about your target persona and the goal to achieve with your blog post, you can think about the different topics that your target market will be interested in.
Start by making a list of the recurrent questions that your clients ask you and find where your target persona is online (social media, forums, blogs, etc.). And look for what they are talking about and asking related to your industry.
After knowing the topic you need to do some keyword research, in order to find the keywords that are used by your target audience. A good tool to use is Keyword planner, it is free and you can find information about how many monthly searches are performed on the area of your choice. Keyword planner is part of your Adwords account and is meant to help you choose the right keywords for your Adwords campaigns. You can find it under Tools. On the example below, we see that there are 70 searches for the exact word “blog post”.
Researching for the right keywords is not as easy, it takes time. You need a keyword that has as many monthly searches as possible, but that has not much content published online and that full fill your users intend. Moz offers a guide on how to start with keyword research.
4.Structure the post and perform competitive analysis
How are you finding the process on how to write a blog post so far?
Now that you have picked up your topic and keywords, you can think about the different sections that your blog post will have.
It is important to keep in mind that there is plenty of content online, and for this reason, you need to exceed the expectations, creating a better offer. Consequently, it is advisable to perform a competitive analysis on the content that targets your topic and has already performed well. An amazing tool to check existing content and the number of links and shares earned it is Buzzsumo.
5.Start writing and optimise for SEO
After working hard on the previous steps on how to write a blog post and to have all the information clear, now it is time to write!
It is highly important that after the first draft of the blog post you optimise the content for SEO. It is easy, you just need to take into consideration some key elements:
- Title (under 70 characters)
- Text. When optimizing the text there needs to be a balance and needs to be written in a natural way without over-optimising. For his purpose, you can use also synonyms and related keywords.
- Image (Alt Tag)
- Meta description (under 160 characters)
Serge Stefoglo’s blog post “The Start-to-Finish Guide to Optimizing Your WordPress Blog Posts [Plus a Checklist]” is an amazing resource on how to optimise your blog post for SEO.
It is important to always double check that it can be easily read, without any grammatical mistakes.
Some tools that might help you are:
- Grammarly has a pretty good free version that can help you revise some of your grammar.
- Web Page FX will help you analyse how easy it is to read your content. If you have installed Yoast plugin will already have this functionality, they have a really good article about how to improve the readability of your blog.
Now you’re ready to post and amplify.
In conclusion, the key is knowing more about your target audience and giving them what they are looking for, but taking into consideration your business goals.
We hope that we have clarified how to write a blog post and inspired you to start implementing it on your site. Let us know which benefits you start seeing and or if you need any help.